Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sawyer's Birthday Cupcakes--best for canines!


Sawyer's 4th birthday is tomorrow, so we're having his birthday bash today. This is his first birthday party with friends, so we wanted everything to be perfect. The past 3 years, I've made a coconut cake for him and he just gets to have a piece. This year--because we're having other canine friends over--I decided to make dog-friendly cupcakes for Sawyer and his canine companions. Originally I was just going to take a dog cookie recipe that I have and adapt it into cupcakes, but I couldn't find my book! So instead, I looked up some recipes online that used the ingredients I already had in the house. I just did a google search and found this recipe.


What I used:
2 cups shredded carrots
2/3 cup natural applesauce (unsweetened)
3 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups oat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats

Frosting (these are approximations)
2 cups plain yogurt
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup meringue powder


How I did it:
First I preheated the oven to 350 degrees. I had baby carrots in the fridge, so I used a food processor to shred them. I had bought them for Justin's salads next week and wound up using most of the bag--oops!


I combined the shredded carrots with the eggs and applesauce in a large mixing bowl and set it aside. It was a little runny but it was with good purpose.


The original recipe calls for whole wheat flour, but I didn't have any, and I can never find it in the grocery store. Instead of using regular flour (which is one of the 1,000 things Sawyer's brother, Kirby, is allergic to), I always throw oats in the food processor and grind them to a fine flour-like consistency. You can see (in the picture below) that I processed more than 3 cups, so unfortunately I had to throw about 1/2 cup away. It's always sad throwing away food!


I added the cinnamon and the regular oats to the oat-flour mixture. After that was well-mixed, I combined the wet and dry ingredients--being sure to add the dry ingredients to the wet slowly. The mixture turned paste-like, so I added just a bit more applesauce to make it more like batter.



I liked the idea of small cupcakes for the dogs, so I used my mini-muffin tin to make mini-cupcakes. The batter still wasn't as runny as regular cupcake batter, but the original recipe said it would be "thick," so I went with it. These cupcakes don't rise, so I filled the pan up to the top.


After making one tray of the mini-cupcakes, I wanted to make a few regular sized, so I used the rest of the dough to make a dozen doggy cupcakes. 




They mini-cupcakes baked for about 13 minutes, and the larger cupcakes baked for 25. I let them cool overnight so I could figure out how to do the icing. 

I had read somewhere before that you could use meringue powder in yogurt to thicken it up to use as icing. I did a trial-and-error with the yogurt and powder--adding peanut butter to really get it to thicken up. I used an icing piper to get just enough onto each cupcake.

I added coconut on top to keep the feel of Sawyer's original birthday cake--plus these cupcakes don't have any sugar in them, and I wanted to give the dogs a special treat! 



I have some cupcakes set out for the party, but I've also created these doggy bags for the canine guests. Inside there is a to-go cupcake, some dog treats, and an extra special dog toy.


The rating:
I gave Sawyer and Kirby an un-iced cupcake last night, and they loved it! The real taste test will be when the party guests arrive. I wouldn't recommend that any human guests try these cupcakes. Like I said, they don't have sugar in them, and plain yogurt doesn't really taste good.

Hope everything goes off tonight without a hitch!

Oh, and P.S.! Humans are getting cupcakes too--coconut cupcakes! I didn't experiment with those though. I cheated and used a box and pre-made whipped icing. They still look fantastic though!

1 comment: