Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The long lost confectioner

I'm alive! My mom has been hinting that I need to update my blog, and although I don't have any new failures and miraculous recoveries from the kitchen to post, I figure that I'll write a little summary of the past few weeks.

Let's see: Superbowl weekend (yes, that long ago), I made chocolate covered pretzels and pizza muffins to take to some friends' party. The chocolate covered pretzels aren't exciting for me anymore because I've done them so many times, so blogging much about them would be a bore. I just use pretzel rods that come in a plastic container because they're easy to transport for parties. I lay out the pretzels onto wax paper while the semi-sweet chocolate is heating up. I dip and coat the pretzels in the chocolate and them roll them in sprinkles. They sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes to harden. Really good. Really easy. Wish I had pictures.

On the non-confection side, the pizza muffins were a recipe I got from Pinterest. I adapted them to include turkey pepperoni and baked them in a mini-muffin tin. The recipe called for mozzarella, parmesan, flour, italian spices, milk, egg, and baking powder. I also placed whole turkey pepperonis at the bottom of each muffin for an extra crisp of turkey. They're ready to eat as soon as they're out of the oven; just dip them in the warmed pizza (spaghetti) sauce!

What else have I been making? Lots of vegetable dishes. Nothing really exciting! We get tons of vegetables from our CSA, and I have to find some way to cook them all before they go bad. I made a cabbage casserole with a recipe from Allrecipes that turned out really good. It was cheesy and made the cabbage taste more like spinach. We've been eating a lot of potatoes and squash--you know, the boring winter vegetables...

Justin and I gave up chocolate for Lent this year (go ahead and gasp). It's been extremely difficult, and that's probably why I haven't had anything to write about. It's been 2 weeks since my last taste, and I'm fiending! I do plan on making some homemade Mounds bars this weekend for a friend, so I'll be sure to document and blog about that. I'm also planning on making some chocolate truffles (an art I've refined over the past few months), so that'll be another good blog.

So my point is that there is more to come! Stay tuned...

:)

I just thought of another thing I've tried recently! I bought a popsicle mold and started making smoothie pops. They're a nice sweet treat, and they're good for you. I blended yogurt, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and a banana in a food processor and then spooned the smoothie-liquid into the popsicle mold and popped it into the freezer. A few hours later we had delicious smoothie pops. I just continue doing them with whatever fresh fruit I pick up at the store.

Okay, that's it! Now you can stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment