Monday, March 12, 2012

Mounds Bars...or should I say coconut truffles

It's a beautiful day, so I'm sitting outside as I'm writing this entry. I took the day off for a dentist appointment and wound up with a gorgeous, 70 degree March day. My whiteness is scaring the neighbors as I lay in the backyard, but who cares about the drunk college kids anyway? It seems that they're just waking up...

So I haven't spent this entire day outside. No, of course I had to do a round of baking. This time I decided to try a recipe I saw on Handle the Heat for homemade Mounds Bars. The story goes like this: I posted this recipe to my mom's Facebook wall early last week, and a few of my mom's friends commented that they'd like to try some too. One of the posters is a close family friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Who am I to keep these delectable treasures from a woman who is in dire need of chocolate? I decided to make them this weekend and carry them over for a visit sometime this week. Oh, and I made some for my mom as well!

What I used:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 bags sweetened coconut
1 tsp sea salt
2 1/2 packages semi-sweet baking chocolate (yeah, a TON! I started off trying to use 10oz, but it wasn't enough)


What I did:
I combined the sweetened condensed milk, the coconut, and the sea salt in a large baking bowl. I mixed all of the ingredients together until they came to a thoroughly coated, sticky mixture. I spread the mixture into a 13x9 pan that was coated in tinfoil and cooking spray. That was my first mistake. The recipe I was using said to spread the mixture out in the pan with a spatula and press firmly into bars to freeze for 15 minutes and cut. I did all that. Either my mixture was too sticky or not frozen enough because my bars did not come out as bars...

When I took the pan out of the freezer and tried to cut the bars, I didn't like how they came out. I didn't think that these "candies" should look like brownies. I couldn't cut them as small as I wanted them because they weren't hard enough, so I just kind of sliced some rows to get the bars out. After I got some of the coconut mixture out of the pan, I tried to form it into Mounds-Bar-like heaps. I figured they looked pretty good, so I popped the chocolate in the microwave to melt. 

The Mounds Bar-ish form

When I tried to coat the little Mounds-Bar-like rolls in chocolate, I quickly saw that they were falling apart as soon as I dipped them. The coconut wasn't pressed hard enough, so the bars were just breaking with the weight and heat from the chocolate. I wanted the candies to come out like real Mounds bars, but mostly I just wanted them to come out.

I decided to try to hand-press the coconut mixture into balls. This worked for a few, but then I found that the coconut mixture was starting to soften, so I had to pop it back into the freezer.

Finally, after a few tries, I think I got it right. The coconut mixture had to be really tightly pressed and frozen--otherwise it'd just fall apart once it hit the chocolate. I spent a lot of time coating these candies. I've never used coconut as a main ingredient like this before, so this was all about trial-and-error. 

Just as a side note: as with any chocolate-coating recipe, I always line a baking sheet (or 2 in this case) with wax paper to place the candies on while they are hardening in the fridge. These sat in the fridge for about half an hour before I took them out to package them.

These are packaged in a little glass jar tied with a white ribbon.

A less fancy way that I package is by wrapping up in Saran wrap and creating a fountain effect. Then I tie a ribbon around the "fountain" and curl it. Simple, but it adds a nice touch.

Rating:
I would make these again now that I know how to do it best. From the tastes I had of the coconut mixture, I think they really do taste like Mounds Bars; they have that salty-sweet taste.

The real taste test will happen when I give these to our friend. Hope she likes them!

1 comment:

  1. well i saw some that were made in muffin tins, i thought i might try that, i have a bite size muffin tin, thought i would try them in there, maybe in layers, a little chocolate, let it harden in fridge or freezer, then add the coconut mixture, again let that harden, then top with more chocolate, only think im worried about is if they pop out, going to spray the pan with spray of course, so ill let you know how that works

    ReplyDelete