Monday, March 12, 2012

Oreo Truffles

I'm back! I spent the entire evening tonight making Oreo truffles, and man, I am beat. I almost forgot what it's like to work in the kitchen for hours on end. I think I need one of those floor mats that reduces the strain on your spine...


So, as stated in my last post, I gave up chocolate for Lent (gasp). Making Oreo truffles was extremely difficult, and I have to admit that I accidentally licked my fingers once or twice--followed immediately by spitting and reciting a few Our Fathers and Hail Mary's. I think God will forgive me for my sympathy baking tonight.


These Oreo truffles are going to a co-worker whose daughter recently passed away. My co-worker loves chocolate and really enjoyed these truffles when I made them for Christmas. In lieu of flowers, I send chocolates.


Down to business.


What I used:
1 package Oreos
1 (8oz) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese -- No substituting for the cheap stuff!
2 packages semi-sweet baking chocolate


1 package Golden Oreos
1 (8oz) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese -- again, no substituting!
1 package white baking chocolate


*I made 2 batches (as you can tell by the two different types of Oreos and baking chocolates). 


How I did it:
First I set out the cream cheese so it could soften to room temperature. I decided to make the white chocolate truffles first so that the chocolate from the regular Oreos wouldn't discolor the lighter ones. I used a food processor to crumble the Oreos. My food processor is little, so I had to do about 1/2 row of Oreos at a time. After all of the Oreos were crumbled (and I enjoyed a few chocolate-free Golden Oreos), I mixed in the softened cream cheese. Trying to run a spatula through the mixture is almost impossible, so I just used my hands to knead the "dough." You really have to mix the cookie crumbs and cream cheese really well so that it forms a truffle-consistency. Otherwise it'll just be like eating crumbled cookies.


My little baby food processor



Crumbled Oreos

After mixing the dough completely, I used a cookie scoop to help form the dough into balls. After I scoop each ball with the cookie scoop, I roll it in my hands to form a nice ball. I did that one-by-one and placed all of the formed balls onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper. It's really tedious and my hands are covered in oil from the dough-mixture, but hand rolling is really the best way to form the truffles.

After I form all of the truffles, I pop the chocolates in the microwave to melt (as directed on the package). Once the chocolate is melted, I take each truffle and roll it in the chocolate. I use two spoons to spin the excess chocolate off and place the truffle back onto the wax paper. One-by-one. It really takes forever, but these truffles are worth it!

Finally, after all of the truffles are covered in chocolate, I spin a few designs using the excess chocolate. Sometimes I've used sprinkles, but I love the way the chocolate looks.

The truffles have to sit in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes for the chocolate to harden completely, but then they're ready to eat!

Chocolate and white chocolate truffles


The original chocolate truffle

Out of focus, but nicely packaged for gift.

Rating:
These don't really even need a rating because I make them all of the time. They're a hit with everyone who has tried them. It's true that they're really sweet, but what's not to love about that? A lot of people ask if they're store-bought or if they come from a bakery which is definitely a compliment. They're great!

No comments:

Post a Comment